My sister loves all things breakfast and she doesn’t limit breakfast food to just breakfast time either. I make this recipe for her more than I make it for myself actually. Home made muesli is a great breakfast on the go, it jazzes up your baked goods, tops your coconut yoghurt, dazzles your guests and is a good snack straight from the bag or jar. My favourite flavour combo is walnut, cinnamon, local honey and dates but feel free to ad-lib and tailor this recipe to every season with your choice of nuts, seeds and dried/freeze dried fruit.
You will need
3 Cups oats
2 Cups of chopped nuts and or seeds (I use 1 cup sunflower seeds and 1 cup walnuts)
3/4 Cup of organic, unsweetened, coconut chips
1/4 tsp salt (if not using butter)
2 tsp spices (I usually use cinnamon)
1/2 cup oil of choice (I use a combo of melted coconut oil and butter)
1 tsp natural vanilla essence
1/4-1/2 cup liquid sweetener of your choice (I use rice malt syrup)
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup chopped dates
This will make enough for a standard box of muesli amount. I sometimes triple the recipe to gift a bag or two to friends.
- pre-heat oven to 160 degrees celsius
- If using butter and/or coconut oil, melt over a medium heat and then add vanilla essence and sweetener
- In a large bowl mix together all dry ingredients except dried fruit.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well
- Spread the muesli out on a tray and bake for 30 mins, stirring every 10 mins
- Once lovely and golden, remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before stirring through the dried fruit.
Serve with nut milk, fresh fruit and a generous dollop of little bare coconut cream or coconut yoghurt of your choice.