The humble sausage roll. Who doesn’t love ’em?
Whilst there are many, many treats that M & F have enjoyed in ‘real food form’ (aka not bought & full of unknown ingredients!), sausage rolls have not been one of them…until now! I was a bit wary of how they would turn out as I did not have the patience to attempt pastry today, however the household seems to be pretty impressed with the sourdough coating and they did not last long…at all! So much for leftovers for lunch food…
If you do not have a sourdough starter on the go, then a paleo pastry or piece of bread rolled out thinly would also make a good coating. We also made one without a coating and it was still uber scrummy!
Gluten, dairy, refined sugar and nut free (egg free option).
6 pure beef sausages (we have ours made by a butcher, without preservatives, sugar, gluten or dairy).
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, gated finely
1 zucchini, grated finely
1 clove garlic, crushed
Tamari soy sauce (optional)
*This is basically our sourdough pizza base!
1/2 cup gluten free sourdough starter
1/2 cup almond meal
1 Tbs coconut or olive oil
1 Tbs brown rice flour
1 small egg
2 Tbs almond milk
Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
1. Cook red onion and garlic on a low heat with a little olive oil and water to prevent burning. Keep adding a little more water (2 Tbs or so) as it evaporates to prevent burning. When they are completely softened, caramelise to your liking with a little more olive oil and no water.
2. Remove casing from sausages, squeeze water out of finely grated zucchini and carrot, then mix together with sausage filling ingredients.
3. Roll into sausage shapes and cook for 10 minutes or so while you prepare the dough.
1. Mix together ingredients and add just enough brown rice flour to form a dough that is firm enough to roll.
2. Knead together in your hands, then roll out to about .5 cm between two sheets of baking paper.
3. When the sausages are ready, wrap dough around sausages (using the baking paper to wrap over) and smooth over any rough or broken pieces.
4.Whisk egg and almond milk together, then lightly brush over sausage rolls and sprinkle with sesame seeds (or cumin seeds etc). Cook for around 20 minutes or until coating is golden brown.