Because my kids love apples and because Nelson is where most of our country’s apples are grown, I thought it was high time that I finally created some apple recipes.
This apple cake is beautifully moist and keeps well in the fridge or freezer. Take it to the next lunch you are invited to. Your friends will be delighted.
Gluten, dairy, refined sugar free, paleo.
2 cups almond meal
1/4 c tapioca flour (or other gluten free flour if you are not wanting to make it paleo)
2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp baking soda
A pinch of salt
3 large or 4 smaller eggs
2 large apples, grated (do not squeeze the juice out)
1/4 c coconut oil or butter, melted
1/2 c dates
1/4-1/2 cup rice malt syrup (or other liquid sweetener)
1/2 c chopped walnuts (optional but delish)
Amazing Cream Cheese Icing
Or Paleo lemon curd and little bare coconut cream , put a spread of each over the cake or mix together before spreading. I love putting big dollops of lemon curd on top of the coconut cream.
Preheat oven to 160 degrees.
1. Soak dates in boiling water for a few minutes, then blitz with melted coconut oil and eggs until thick and smooth.
2. Mix dry ingredients (almond meal, tapioca flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt) in a bowl, then add egg mixture and walnuts. Mix until just combined. Stir through the grated apple.
3. Pour into a 22cm cake tin greased with coconut oil. You can top with some extra chopped walnuts to decorate if you do not wish to ice and just serve with coconut yoghurt as a side.
4. Cook for around 50 minutes or until cooked through when tested with a skewer or nice and springy on top.
5. Once cool, ice with my amazing cream cheese icing recipe or lemon curd and coconut yoghurt.