Because my kids love apples and because Nelson is where most of our country’s apples are grown, I thought it was high time that I finally created some apple recipes.
This apple cake is beautifully moist and keeps well in the fridge or freezer. Take it to the next lunch you are invited to. Your friends will be delighted.
Gluten, dairy, refined sugar free, paleo.
2 cups almond meal
1/4 c tapioca flour (or other gluten free flour if you are not wanting to make it paleo)
2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp baking soda
A pinch of nutmeg and salt
3 large or 4 smaller eggs
2 large apples, grated (do not squeeze the juice out)
1/4 c coconut oil or butter, melted
1/2 c dates
1/4-1/2 cup rice malt syrup (or other liquid sweetener)
1/2 c chopped walnuts (optional but delish)
Optional topping: Pecans or walnuts and 2 tsp honey or sweetener of your choice (optional – I didn’t use any as this batch is for lunches, but probably would for a special occasion)
Preheat oven to 160 degrees.
1. Soak dates in boiling water for a few minutes, then blitz with melted coconut oil and eggs until thick and smooth.
2. Mix dry ingredients (almond meal, tapioca flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt) in a bowl, then add egg mixture and walnuts. Mix until just combined.
3. Pour into a loaf tin greased with coconut oil and top with topping if you wish (I just blitzed the nuts in a mini food processor).
4. Cook for around 50 minutes or until cooked through when tested with a skewer or nice and springy on top.
5. Once cool, ice with my cream cheese icing or lemon curd and coconut yoghurt.