I have been meaning to create gummy sweets for a while now. Gelatine is a has super duper powers when it comes to gut healing; it has been proven to help line, protect and heal the mucosal lining of the digestive tract and aid in the digestion and absorption of nutrients. Bone broths are an awesome source of gelatine and we are fairly addicted to making them around here now (especially for breakfast…something I never thought I would say!) but we will get chatting about that another day.
For now we are on on a gummy bear mission. I was never actually a big fan of gummy bears as a child, but something I did love was those delicious little strawberry and cream jubie thingies. You know, the ones from the pick n mix or 50 cent mixture. Last night I suddenly remembered that I make a pretty scrummy dairy free panna cotta with coconut cream and almond milk and thought ‘I could make gummies with coconut milk’…and voila, today these little creations became our version of those little strawberry and cream jubie thingies.
Gluten, dairy, refined sugar, egg and nut free, paleo.
For the cream layer:
1 cup coconut milk (I got the best results with Trade Aid)
1/4 tsp vanilla (optional)
1 Tbs sweetener such as honey or rice malt syrup
2 Tbs gelatine
For the berry layer:
1/2 cup frozen berries
2 Tbs water
1 Tbs gelatine
1. Pour the coconut milk, vanilla and sweetener in a pot and sprinkle gelatine over evenly
2. Whisk constantly while heating on a low heat until gelatine is dissolved and mixture is very smooth
3. Pour into moulds and pop in the freezer
4. Heat berries and water in a pot until defrosted and becoming liquid. Strain berries if you wish (I didn’t this time round and it was fine but very ‘pippy’)
5. Sprinkle gelatine over mixture and whisk well until dissolved
6. Spoon mixture over cream layer in moulds and return to fridge for about 15 minutes
x Aunty Bee