Coconut yoghurt is the popular new kid on the block at the moment. I love the idea of it. But unfortunately I find the taste just has a certain euk factor that I can’t quite pinpoint.
I have been looking at various vegan yoghurt recipes that use soaked raw cashews and suddenly wondered what would happen if I combined the two styles together…the result: a slightly milder and wonderfully textured yoghurt that was pretty delish!
Gluten, dairy & refined sugar free, vegan.
1 can of 100% coconut cream (such as Ayams)
2.5 capsules of probiotics
1 Tbs manuka honey, pure maple syrup or rice malt syrup
1/2 cup cashew nuts
1 cup water for soaking
1. Heat coconut cream in a saucepan on a low heat until warm to touch, then remove from heat and stir in probiotic powder (discard the capsule) and sweetener.
2. Pour into a sterilised jar (either by filling with boiling water and standing for 5 minutes, or running through the dishwasher).
3. Screw the lid on tightly and put in a warm place for 12 hours. I put mine on top of our coffee machine.
4. Soak the cashews in water and salt for 5 – 6 hours.
5. Rinse cashews then blend with a stick blender, adding a little bit of water until you can blend a thick purée.
6. Combine cashews and coconut yoghurt. Voila!
We enjoyed this blended with frozen raspberries as a treat and tried some in our smoothie, which turned out to be the best smoothie I have tasted in a loooong time!
x Aunty Bee